Saturday, March 17, 2018

I Could Use a Love Song


I grind my teeth.  I grind them so badly my dentist had to make a thicker mouth guard than what he normally has to make.  I am currently breaking that one also... at his horror.  He prescribed a muscle relaxer for me so that I can give my poor jaw a break.  Last night was day one of the prescription and yuck.  Just yuck.

I feel awful.  I have felt superbly emotional for a bit so I'm guessing it's a combination of running out of my Plexus supplements, getting off all my anti-anxiety & thyroid meds, and trying to cope with my stress au-naturale.  I didn't choose to do it, it just kind of snuck up on me.  I got busy.  My debit card expired so all my auto ships were cancelled, and things just kind of spiraled and led me here.  To feeling like a complete mess with a mouth guard that is obnoxiously thick and breaking.

And wreaking of stress.

Stress is sneaky.  I think I underestimate his sneakiness often.  It's like being smacked in the butt by one of my boys when I'm bending over to get the laundry out of the dryer.  I'm just all in the get 'er done mode, and wham!  Out of nowhere my buns start stinging.  Or walking outside expecting a certain temperature only to rush back inside to don more clothes.

It's totally unexpected and a bit unnerving.

My doc told me long ago that some people had brains that were capable of handling quite a bit of stress without physical manifestations.  Others had a different threshold and therefore needed to approach with caution.

I am, unfortunately, in the latter category.  As my teeth can testify to.  I have a history of not coping well with stress.  I get by like most do, but sometimes the natural coping solutions are not enough.  When I'm in that state of being completely unable to function without being a walking Medusa, nothing that is good for me is appealing.  In fact, healthy things get my middle finger often.  Working out?  Screw you.  Vegetables?  No thanks, Whole Foods.  Now binging on Netflix, wine and pizza...that always sounds appealing when my brain is stressed.

And of course, that solution backfires on me.  Like a smack on the butt.  Or a crack in my mouth guard.

I am a Ted Talk addict.  I heard one the other day that talked about why we screw ourselves out of the lives we want.  It's all about doing things when you don't feel like doing them.  Because, let's just be real, ain't nobody ever FEEL like achieving greatness when your ass is begging you to stay in bed.

And of course being my solidly single SOUTHERN woman self, I yearn for someone ELSE to achieve the greatness.  I'd like to just assist in HIS greatness.  That feels like the right answer.  Surely my stress will diminish if I had someone to take care of me.  And vice versa.  I'd like to just stay in bed.  All warm and cozy.

But that answer also makes me laugh out loud.  LOL.  LMAO.  ROTFL.

I sure could use a love song.  One that doesn't make me grind my teeth like Pac-Man and alleviates the need to binge on things that are generally bad for me.  And for the sake of my teeth.  Let's get this stress thing resolved.

But the reality is, I'm the problem....and the solution.

Bad TMJ and all...this Southern homegirl just needs a break from believing in things that won't come true.


https://youtu.be/9UcyrWn5uAw


I Could Use a Love Song
Usually a drink will do the trick
Take the edge off quick, sitting in the dark
With a shared cigarette
Seeing eye-to-eye, and heart-to-heart
But maybe I’m just getting old
Used to work but now it don’t
A long gone drive
You know the kind where you take a turn and you don’t know why
But it clears your mind, a surefire cure
I need something stronger
That’ll last a little longer
I could use a love song
That takes me back, just like that
When it comes on
To a time when I wouldn’t roll my eyes
At a guy and a girl
Who make it work in a world
That for me so far just seems to go so wrong
Yeah I could use, I could use a love song
I wish I didn’t know so much
I peeked behind the curtain
Now that magic rush
Feels like a trick that isn’t working
But I haven’t lost all hope yet
Yeah it’s hurting but it ain’t dead
I could use a love song
That takes me back, just like that
When it comes on
To a time when I wouldn’t roll my eyes
At a guy and a girl
Who make it work in a world
That for me so far just seems to go so wrong
Yeah I could use, I could use a love song
Give me a sign or a rhyme or a reason
Just something that I can believe in

No comments:

Post a Comment